Saturday, January 21, 2012

January 2, 2012 Arrival in Lilongwe, Malawi

After a long flight, we finally arrived in Lilongwe, Malawi. When I stepped off the plane, I took my first glance at a beautiful foreign land full of green luscious plants and blue skies as far as I could see. Upon entry into the airport, a visa form must be completed; they want to make sure I'm leaving when this trip is over. A short drive to "Area 3" of Lilongwe brought us to World Camp. Initial reactions were shocking. Malawians lived in mud huts with no running water or electricity. The culture immediately made me appreciate everything I had back in the states. Their standard of living is lower than the US, but they are more sustainable because they are dependent on fossil fuels for energy. Astonishingly, I fell in love with the way they lived, my trip was already amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment