Saturday, January 21, 2012

January 3, 2012 The First Full Day in Malawi!

Today was the first full day we endeavored in Lilongwe. Waking up at five in the morning to the sound of people working was a culture shock. The sun rose, the light shed in over my bunk bed and into my tired eyes. Breakfast consisted of Malawian eggs and oatmeal. The eggs were fresh compared to America eggs. I gobbled them up as if I had never eaten eggs before. After breakfast, the group went to Old Town to draw geographical boundaries for the group's safety. Along the walk, we were also exposed to the culture for the first time. Currency was $1 USD  for 175 Kwacha at the bank, but we found a better offer. On the streets, the exchange rate with locals was 230 Kwacha or more for every American dollar. Figuring out how the people were able to beat the bank's exchange rate was puzzling; I didn't question the reasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment